Book contests are a great way for self-publishing authors to gain credibility and exposure. Great Lakes Colleges Association (GLCA) New Writers Award for poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction is currently accepting entries. Here is what you need to know:
- The work must be a first published volume.
- The work must have been published between Spring 2013 and Spring 2014.
- GLCA will also accept galley proofs for works to be published in late spring or early summer of 2014.
- Winning authors tour several GLCA’s member colleges to give readings, lecture, visit classes, conduct workshops, and publicize their books.
- All entries must be postmarked no later than July 25, 2014.
- Winning authors will receive an honorarium of $500 from each of the colleges they visit. Travel, lodging, and food expenses will be reimbursed.
The Benefits of Great Lakes Colleges Association (GLCA) New Writers Awards
- Credibility — This award reflects outstanding literary achievement in the judgment of a committee of scholar-critic-writers who have professional and personal commitments to excellence in literature and the encouragement of creative writing. It is a mark of distinction that confers recognition to both author and publisher in promoting the book.
- Publicity — The winning authors’ visits to the GLCA colleges, with the attendant local promotion and publicity, should serve to stimulate sales in this Midwestern area.These campus visits expose the authors and their works to large numbers of students through readings, question and answer sessions, and possibly workshop class sessions.
For more information on submitting an entry, visit http://glca.org/programs/new-writers-award.
|ABOUT KELLY SCHUKNECHT: Kelly Schuknecht is the Vice President of Outskirts Press. In addition to her contributions to the Outskirts Press blog at blog.outskirtspress.com, Kelly and a group of talented marketing experts offer book marketing services, support, and products to not only published Outskirts Press authors, but to all authors and professionals who are interested in marketing their books and/or careers. Learn more about Kelly on her blog at http://kellyschuknecht.com.|