Many self-published authors debate whether they should submit a print-ready cover they have created or whether they should hire a professional graphic designer to create the cover for them. Like any self-publishing decision you will make, there are pros and cons to each method. Here is an overview of the two options.
Creating Your Own Cover
- If you have the skills to create your own cover, you can save money by doing the work yourself.
- Creating a professional cover requires both skill and talent. Most writers do not have the ability to create a great cover.
- You need to know how to format the cover correctly.
- If your cover doesn’t look great, your book may not sell well, even if it well written.
Hiring a Graphic Designer
- When you hire a professional, you can expect a great cover every time. Afterall, that is what you paying the graphic designer for.
- You have a lot of options. If you design the cover yourself, your skills and talent may limit your options, but when you hire a professional, you can tell the designer exactly what you want.
- This option does cost money, but it is often well worth it.
- Many self-publishing companies offer a custom cover option. This saves you the time and stress of finding a great designer.
Remember, your book cover has a huge impact on your ability to sell your book! Unfortunately, people don’t listen to the cliché “don’t judge a book by its cover,” so be sure to choose an option that will make your book look professional.
|ABOUT JODEE THAYER: With over 20 years of experience in sales and management, Jodee Thayer works as the Manager of Author Services for Outskirts Press. The Author Services Department is composed of knowledgeable customer service reps and publishing consultants; together, they all focus on educating authors on the self-publishing process in order to help them publish the book of their dreams. Whether you are a professional looking to take your career to the next level with platform-driven non-fiction or a novelist seeking fame, fortune, and/or personal fulfillment, Jodee Thayer can put you on the right path.|