March is National Reading Month and National Small Press Month. In honor of both, now is a great time to join a reading group and a writing group. Both offer many personal and professional benefits. Here is what you can expect.
Readings groups are also known as book clubs. One of the best ways writers can improve their craft is by reading. A book club will…
- Motivate you to make time for reading
- Introduce you to books you may never have read on your own
- Help you meet new people
- Allow you to experience books in a new way
- Give you a glimpse inside the mind of other readers
- Expose you to new writing techniques
All of these benefits can help you improve your writing. Also, the social aspect could be lucrative after you self-publish and are promoting your book.
There are many different types of writing groups. Some examples include critique groups, reading circles, support networks, and timed writing groups. The benefits of writing groups include…
- Receiving feedback on your work
- Reviewing the work of others, which can be a great way to improve your own craft
- Socializing with other writers
- Building a network and support system
- Setting goals and validating yourself as a writer
- Brainstorming with others
All of these benefits can help you improve your writing and help you during the self-publishing and marketing process.
Look for a local group in your area or consider joining an online group. I’d love to know, how has a reading or writing group improved your writing?
|ABOUT JODEE THAYER: With over 20 years of experience in sales and management, Jodee Thayer works as the Manager of Author Services for Outskirts Press. The Author Services Department is composed of knowledgeable customer service reps and publishing consultants; together, they all focus on educating authors on the self-publishing process in order to help them publish the book of their dreams. Whether you are a professional looking to take your career to the next level with platform-driven non-fiction or a novelist seeking fame, fortune, and/or personal fulfillment, Jodee Thayer can put you on the right path.|