Happy Halloween everyone! In honor of this spooky holiday, I want to share some self-publishing statistics that may shock you. Don’t be afraid; just keep reading.
- According to Marcia Richards, the number of nontraditional books produced in 2010 increased by 169%. Traditional publishing growth was less than 5%.
- According to a New York Times report, “81% of people feel they have a book in them.. and should write it.”
- According to Self Publishing Resources, 8,000 to 11,000 new publishers enter the field every year; most of them are self publishers.
- According to Self Publishing Resources, 87% of books produced are put out by small presses or self-publishing companies.
- According to Self Publishing Resources, nonfiction books outsell fiction books two to one, but more fiction books are published.
- According to Self Publishing Resources, 52% of all books aren’t sold in bookstores. They are sold in catalogs, online, etc.
As you can see, self publishing is a popular option in the publishing industry. Despite the tough economy, self publishing is thriving. If you have been waiting for the perfect time to self publish your book, that time could be now.
|ABOUT WENDY STETINA:
Wendy Stetina is a sales and marketing professional with over 30 years experience in the printing and publishing industry. Wendy works as the Director of Author Services for Outskirts Press. The Author Services Department is composed of knowledgeable customer service reps and publishing consultants; and together, they all focus on educating authors on the self-publishing process in order to help them publish the book of their dreams. Whether you are a professional looking to take your career to the next level with platform-driven non-fiction, or a novelist seeking fame, fortune, and/or personal fulfillment, Wendy Stetina can put you on the right path.