How much do self-publishing authors earn?
There is no one size fits all answer.
What an author earns varies greatly. Income is based on a variety of factors, including the author’s goals, intended market, and marketing strategy.
One of the main reasons author income varies so greatly is because many authors don’t self-publish to make money. They never intend to market and promote their book, so they earn very little. For these authors, success is not defined by the amount of money they make or the number of books they sell. Instead, it is simply based on whether or not they accomplished their goals. Some common definitions of success among self-published authors include:
- Sharing their story with family and friends
- Reaching a niche market
- Finishing and publishing their manuscript, regardless of how many books they sell
- Gaining fame
- Earning an income
- Increasing their business
- Building their following of readers
- Adding to their resume
- Getting picked up by a traditional publisher
- And many, many more
I assume you ARE interested in earning money if you asked this question. For those of you who want to make a profit, here is what you need to know:
- Depending on the trade discount set by you or your publisher, you can expect to earn royalties on average of $2-$7.
- Some self-publishing companies offer more flexibility in setting pricing and royalties, so it is important to select a company that meets your needs.
- Marketing is key to financial success! If you want to earn money from your book, be prepared to dedicate your time, money, and effort to marketing and promoting your self-published book.
- Quality is also extremely important. You must offer readers a professional, well-written book.
- A dynamic cover and professional editing are a must.
A great way to learn more about how much self-publishing authors earn and how they define success is studying other authors. Read interviews and books by successful authors. Network with writer’s in your area. Join professional writing groups. Talk to people who have self-published. Learn about the industry. All of this research will not only give you an idea of how much self-publishing authors earn, but will also offer excellent tips and advice for making your book successful.
|ABOUT JODEE THAYER: With over 20 years of experience in sales and management, Jodee Thayer works as the Manager of Author Services for Outskirts Press. The Author Services Department is composed of knowledgeable customer service reps and publishing consultants; together, they all focus on educating authors on the self-publishing process in order to help them publish the book of their dreams. Whether you are a professional looking to take your career to the next level with platform-driven non-fiction or a novelist seeking fame, fortune, and/or personal fulfillment, Jodee Thayer can put you on the right path.|